Newton Pediatrics — Your medical home
Newton Pediatrics is a full-service office located in the heart of Newton Centre. We deliver state-of-the-art health care while overseeing and coordinating with our affiliated providers. Our practice offers additional specialties in travel medicine, behavioral health, and environmental health.
Dedicating ourselves to your child’s physical, mental, and emotional well-being is the mission of Newton Pediatrics. We pledge/promise to deliver our services with kindness, respect, and special attention for every child.
Meet Dr. Krisztina Bukur-Doczy
(pronounced Dr. Bukur Doh-tze)
Thank you for the opportunity to help your child build a strong and healthy foundation!
Pediatrics is a specialty full of hope with great possibilities for change. I use my scientific knowledge and experience to give my patients an excellent start for a lifetime of good health. The power of the human brain and the body’s resilience fascinate me and continue to fuel my enthusiasm for providing the very best pediatric services. As a parent, you want to do everything for your child, and I am here to support you. Thank you for making Newton Pediatrics your medical home.
About Dr. Bukur-Doczy
As a pediatrician and a mother herself, Dr. Bukur-Doczy provides families with effective strategies for balancing the demands of work and life and with creating a nurturing and healthy work and home environment.
Beyond the usual clinical training, Dr. Bukur-Doczy’s scientific research in pathology, immunology, and microbiology give her deep insight into pediatric medicine, and a strong foundation for travel medicine.
Dr. Bukur-Doczy lives in the area with her husband and their three children, who attend Newton Public Schools. She began her medical studies at age 18 in Sweden and completed them at the University of Lund. She continued her graduate studies at Boston University in Immunology and Pathology. A researcher at the Albert Einstein School of Medicine, Dr. Bukur-Doczy’s residency was at the University of Illinois. She has been Board Certified in Pediatrics since 2000 and re-certified in 2008.
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Chapter 1
- International Society of Travel Medicine
- Massachusetts Medical Society
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Breast Feeding Council
- Newton-Wellesley Hospital
- Children’s Hospital Boston
- Brockton Hospital
- Good Samaritan Hospital
- South Shore Hospital
Meet Dr. Shirley Gonzalez
I have been practicing pediatrics for 20 years. I chose the field of pediatrics because I love empowering families and because I enjoy the challenges and joys that accompany the various pediatric developmental stages. The field of pediatrics gives me the opportunity to promote the prevention of adult chronic diseases that may have their origins in the fetal, neonatal, and childhood periods. During my career, I have been able to develop interests in various fields such as newborn medicine, pediatric obesity, Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes, and menstrual cycle disorders. I have also devoted a significant amount of time to medical student education, clinical research, and administrative-leadership roles, the latter as past chief of the pediatric department at St. Elizabeth’s Medical Center. In 2003, I founded the TEEEN® (Teens, Empowerment, Exercise, Education, Nutrition) Program. The goal of this program is to address pediatric obesity using a different venue outside the clinical setting.
About Dr. González
Dr. Shirley Gonzalez graduated with Honors from Brown University where she obtained a Bachelor of Arts in Biology. She obtained her medical degree from Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine and did her residency at Children’s Memorial Hospital in Chicago. She pursued studies in the field of menstrual disorders from the Pope Paul VI Institute, in Omaha, Nebraska, in affiliation with Creighton University and obtained her certification from the American Academy of FertilityTM Care Professionals. She attended the “Leadership for Physician Executive Course, Live Activity” at Harvard Medical School in 2012 and recently has taken courses offered by the American Association for Physician Leadership in the areas finance, health law and quality, in order to better comprehend the evolving field of health care.
Her research interests have included: Effect of a behavioral program on BMI and adolescent quality of life, and impact of education on nutrition fact label literacy. She is currently conducting a clinical research project on the topic of parental behavior changes among parents who attend the TEEEN® program.
- Certificate of Recognition: 5th Annual World Congress on the Insulin Resistance Syndrome, 2007
- Boston Business Journal Champion in Health Care Award for innovative work as founder and director of TEEEN® (Teens, empowerment, exercise, education, nutrition) program, 2009
- El Planeta Award: recognition for work with Hispanic population, 2012
- Fellow, American Academy of Pediatrics
- American College of Physician Executives
- Member of the Ambulatory Pediatric Society
- Associate Member-Brown University Chapter of Sigma Xi Scientific Research Society
- American Medical Association
- Member of the American College of Pediatricians
- Member, BNORC (Boston Nutrition Obesity Research Center)
Recent Publications/presentations at National Meetings:
- Effect of Behavioral Program on Quality of Life in Overweight Adolescent Population, Pediatric Academies Society Meeting, Poster, Washington DC, 2013
- Chapter: Thinking Outside the Box: The TEEEN Program, a Primary Care Approach to Address the Public Health Concern of Pediatric Obesity, in Obesity: Epidemiology, Pathophysiology, and Prevention 2012
- Effectiveness of a Community-Based Education and Empowerment Program in Improving Food Label Literacy in an Overweight Pediatric Population, Poster, AAP 2011
- Pediatric Behavioral Program Positively Impacts BMI: a Randomized Controlled Study, Obesity Society Annual Scientific Meeting-poster 2009
Other Initiatives/professional activities:
- Joslin Diabetes Camp, physician
- Director, tutoring program
MEET DR. MARGOT SHUMAN
Hello! My name is Dr. Margot Shuman (“Dr. Margot”). I have been a practicing pediatrician in Massachusetts since 1992 in hospital and office based practices and as a medical consultant for several local preschools, after-school programs, and summer camps. My family is a member of the local community – I have lived in Needham for over 20 years with my husband and am the mom to two (now college-aged) children. When I’m not working, I love reading, movies, and especially cheering at my children’s tennis matches!
A close relationship between families and their pediatrician is the most important tool we have to ensure a healthy and happy childhood. I am so excited to join the Newton Pediatrics team and to get to know your family. I will be privileged to participate in your child’s care and to watch them grow and develop over the years.
ABOUT DR. SHUMAN
Dr. Margot Shuman is the newest addition to our Newton Pediatrics family. She has over 25 years of experience as a practicing pediatrician in both hospital and office settings. Before joining Newton Pediatrics, Dr. Shuman worked for the past twelve years as a faculty physician in the Urgent Care Program/Division of Emergency Medicine at Boston Childrens Hospital. Previously, she was an office practitioner and pediatric hospitalist for over ten years after completing her training.
Dr. Shuman holds a Bachelors of Science degree from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and an MD degree from the Mt. Sinai School of Medicine in New York. She completed her pediatric residency training at the Albert Einstein School of Medicine/Montefiore Medical Center and has been Board Certified in General Pediatrics since 1992. She is a Clinical Instructor of Pediatrics at the Harvard Medical School and is a Fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics.
The comprehensive medical home is of special interest to Dr. Shuman. Since 2013, she has been a member of the Medical Services Committee at the Combined Jewish Philanthropies and has been collaborating with the medical community in Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine to create a model clinic that will provide integrated family-centered medical care across the age spectrum.
Years of clinical experience in varied settings and her interest in community and collegial education have given Dr. Shuman a unique perspective and well-rounded view of general pediatrics. She has developed skills needed to from trusting relationships with patients and families, to coordinate care between the primary care office and consultants, to manage a wide variety of acute diagnostic dilemmas and chronic conditions, and to promote comprehensive well care and preventative medicine.
Multi-lingual pediatric office in Newton
Many of our patients are multilingual—and so are we! We can answer your questions about early language acquisition and multiple languages in the home from personal experience.
Some families prefer to communicate in their native language. We can read your medical records in these languages without translation, which can be very helpful in accessing your full medical history and providing comprehensive medical care.
Our languages include
Our practices and values
- We believe in the ethical practice of medicine, in providing leadership throughout the community, and serving those in our community who are in need.
- We believe in the prevention of disease and the promotion of healthy lifestyles for all children.
- We practice medicine as a team, and value the contributions of all of our staff in providing excellent medical care and service.
- We are committed to finding the best solution for a problem with the help of sub-specialists available though Boston Children’s Hospital staff or other top providers in our community.
- To help you to achieve the best overall health possible for your child and the entire family
- To provide the highest quality health care to the children and families we serve
- To build long-term trust and mutual respect
- To be an efficient and cost-effective practice that meets the needs of children during times of health as well as during times of illness
About Newton Centre
We are proud to practice in the community where we live. This allows us the opportunity to build on our passion for creating an in-depth understanding of the influences that affect children’s health.
Newton is a wonderful community with many resources, and an interesting history. We look forward to your comments and updates. We invite you to share your “insider tips” and interesting facts about Newton on our Facebook page.
Did you know?
Katherine Lee Bates, who wrote “America the Beautiful,” lived on Centre Street in Newton Centre.
Samuel Francis Smith, a clergyman who wrote the words to the hymn MyCountry, ‘Tis o Thee, also known as “America,” lived at 1181 Centre Street in Newton Centre.